Speak with a Lawyer


Privacy Policy


guardianship for elderly parentsGuardian assistance for personal and financial matters

There may come a time when a family member is in need of a guardian to handle personal and financial matters. If you have a minor child with a disability that prevents him or her from managing personal care decisions or financial matters, you will need to be appointed by the Court to continue to act on your child’s behalf once he or she reaches the age of majority. Many older family members can no longer make decisions about their care or their finances and require a guardian to act on their behalf. Guardianships can be plenary–meaning that the guardian can make all decisions on behalf of the incapacitated individual–or limited, meaning that only certain decisions may be acted upon by the guardian, such as financial decisions. The process requires a Petition and a hearing before a judge, with appropriate witnesses and testimony. Our attorneys have the expertise you need when a loved one’s best interests require your intervention.

We are sensitive to your situation

The Court recognizes that an individual must be legally “incapacitated” before a guardian can be appointed to act on that person’s behalf and the hearing will help the judge to determine whether an individual is incapacitated and in need of a guardian. Medical professionals can generally provide the necessary information to the Court to guide the Court’s decision on the issue of incapacity. Sometimes, the incapacitated person is not aware that they have lost the ability to be self-sufficient. Our attorneys will act with sensitivity and responsibility in formulating the Petition and in the presentation of evidence so that the incapacitated person’s dignity is preserved and the Court can see that the appropriate party is seeking the appointment for the appropriate reason–that is, to insure the health and welfare of the incapacitated person.

Emergency guardianship procedures

Many times, a guardianship is required on an emergency basis, such as when public assistance benefits have lapsed or must be renewed and the person in need of those benefits cannot act for himself or when the incapacitated person’s health and well-being is at risk. Our attorneys know the emergency procedures and can quickly schedule an emergency presentation with a judge to ensure that your loved one’s needs are met.